This is a true story about how things sometimes work out the way they should. Oprah used to talk about that a lot. Synchronicity, things happening because they are “meant to be.” Yesterday, I wrote a blog called “Saying Goodbye To Oprah” today I experienced what she has always talked about.
1) I had a new Doctor’s appointment and when I asked the new Doctor if she was ever in touch with the Doctor who had retired she said “in fact, I’m seeing him tonight.” I asked her to please tell him about an article I wrote about the loss of my dear friend “Loving Dawn” that was published in a local magazine. She said she would but as I was about to leave I remembered I had copies in my trunk that I had just picked up from the editor the day before. I ran down and got the magazine, happy to show them. No coincidence there.
2) I stopped by the florist to order my son’s girlfriend’s corsage, continued on to the library and decided to go to a shoe store.
3) I parked my car, (having no sense of direction whatsoever) where I thought the shoe store was. I couldn’t find it. It turned out that I parked in front of a store called ICD Jewelery. When I saw the name I remembered my son saying that he bought his girlfriend’s birthday present there. The door was held open and I decided to walk in and browse. In the past I had always assumed that it was just high-end stuff but it isn’t. It’s a wonderful combination of completely affordable jewelery AND beautiful expensive, sparkling pieces.
4) I looked around keeping my daughter’s upcoming 17th birthday in mind, I even saw the lovely bracelet my son had bought. There were beautiful pieces in EVERY price range. After chatting with a nice woman named Sarah I softly said: ” You are doing this store a disservice, you really should advertise more.” She smiled and said “can I repeat that?” I said “I guess so.” She called the owner over, an absolutely stunning and beautiful woman (she should be a model) named Varda Singer and asked me to repeat my comment. I did, I asked where they advertised because I had no idea that this store sold things in all price ranges. I am the type of person that should live with focus groups. I try every new product, I can predict if something will work or not, I know “star” quality before others. If I really liked this store my friends would too. If I didn’t know about this store they probably didn’t either.
5) The owner, Varda, said “she pays so much in advertising in publications it’s sometimes not worth it.” After talking with her about the jewelery, both high-end and inexpensive, she fell silent. She looked at me, took a gorgeous pink beaded bracelet off the display, handed it to me and said, “word of mouth: this is how I like to get people to the store.” Before I knew it she took the price tag off and presented the bracelet to me as a present.”If people like it and ask where you got it, you tell them.” No one had ever given me a present like that and I was shocked. I said “No, no, no, no… ” but she insisted and put it on my arm.
6) All she knew was that I was a mom window shopping for her daughter. She had no idea I wrote a blog. We laughed and talked some more and out of the blue she threw in a Hebrew word that I recognized immediately. The word “Beshert” it’s meaning: “meant to be” or “destiny.”
7) I told them I wanted to blog about this experience (I am not a paid employee nor am I a sponsor or a PR agent and I am not getting any kind of kickback!) I asked Varda if we could tie this special day in with my blog. If people read this blog and wanted to go to the store, perhaps they could get a $5 dollar discount? She thought about it, shook her head and said with a smile said:”please tell people that if they just drop by the store and mention your blog, they will get a free “bracelet” too.”
I will REPEAT THAT: Mention that you read this blog and get a free bracelet. Stop by there, look around, you won’t be disappointed. They are located in the town of Chappaqua, NY, 75 South Greeley Avenue. You can reach them at 914-238-3646 or at ICDJLTD@aol.com. or visit: http://www.icdjewelry.com/
Thank you again, Varda, for my pink bracelet.
What an awesome story! And what a gorgeous bracelet Laurie! That’s just super cool! Truly a “meant to be” experience! Wish I lived in NY …. I would be poppin over to this store! What a great find for you! And what a great find for Varda! A talented writer likes her store! lol I’m happy you got such a lovely bracelet Deary…you deserve it!
Like Mo, I believe in syncronisity (spelling); some things are meant to be. This includes the good stuff, too.
Sorry I’m so far away, and can’t drive or I’d visit her jewelry store too. I’m sure she is very pleased with your blog post!
It’s funny how things work out sometimes. Oprah always said that there is no such thing as a coincidence! I totally believe that. You had a good day with things “lining up” perfectly!
Bracelet is beautiful. Too far for me to drive. And, I couldn’t get to their website with your link. I was just gong to look at her things.