To my fellow Eppiglottis Sufferers,
Here are some answers to questions you have asked me:
1) YES you CAN get Eppiglottitis AGAIN and I’m sorry. ( I have had it twice )
2) There is no way to prevent it. If you found a way, please contact me immediately.
3) Yes, it causes unbearable pain.
4) I worry as soon as my throat tickles much less hurts.
5) “Calling Eppiglottitis A Bitch Is A Vast Understatement” is my most sought after and popular blog post.
6) No, I never had my throat/breathing problems/occur but if you have trouble breathing,
go to the Emergency Room or call for an ambulance. Do NOT take chances.
7) No, you cannot “SEE IT” looking down your throat. It is below the throat and a doctor will have to “scope you.”
(don’t ask.) Okay, fine, he or she will have to thread a tube through your nose so the doctor can see what is happening down there.
The first time I had it my ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist) said “How the hell did you get THAT?” Gee, thanks, Doc.
8) Yes, I too, live in constant fear of getting it again.
9) Other doctors? I have been told if I get it again (UGH) to see an Infectious Disease Specialist.
10) It hurts so MUCH because it is incredibly painful to swallow and you have to swallow, lying on your stomach and spitting into a bowl is an idea but not a solution.
11) I feel your pain and your anxiety and I hope this will be an Eppiglottitis free year for us all.
12) Yes, I do have Fibromyalgia and an auto-immune disease (Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis) but apparently there is NO connection.
13) and Yes, if there is interest, I will consider starting a group on-line.
Feel free to keep those questions coming and to share your own miserable experiences, believe me I can relate to them all!
GOOD LUCK FOR A PAIN FREE WINTER!